The Intra-Company Visa: Transfer Talented Workers to the UK

Are you struggling to find the talented workers you need to fill a bilingual vacancy in the UK? If you run the UK branch of a multinational organisation and would like to transfer workers from other branches outside of the EEA to the UK, then the Intra-Company Visa could be an option for you. 

In this article, we’ll take a look at the Intra-Company Visa from an employer’s perspective and see what requirements must be met to successfully transfer an overseas worker to the UK.

What is an Intra-Company Visa?  

An Intra-Company Transfer Visa is a scheme that allows candidates to temporarily transfer to the UK from an overseas branch of a UK company. To be able to apply for the visa, the employer must be able to demonstrate that the role cannot be filled by a UK resident worker and that the salary is appropriate for the role. 

There are currently two types of Intra-Company Visas. They are:

  • Intra-Company Transfer Visa – This visa is available to established workers of multinational companies who do a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations and are paid at least £41,500 a year.
  • Intra-Company Graduate Trainee Visa – This visa is available to workers who are taking part in a structured graduate training programme and are paid at least £23,000 a year.   

How long can workers on Intra-Company Visas stay in the UK?

That depends on the type of visa the candidate will be on and how long you want to sponsor them for. 

  • Candidates applying for an Intra-Company Transfer Visa can stay in the UK for a cumulative total of five years in any six-year period if they earn less than £73,900 a year. If they earn more than £73,900 a year, then they can stay for a cumulative total of nine years in any ten-year period.  
  • Candidates applying for the Intra-Company Graduate Trainee Visa can remain in the UK for a maximum of one year. That period must correspond with the structured training programme they are on.

What are the main Intra-Company Visa requirements for employers?

As a UK employer, there are several requirements that you must meet to be eligible to sponsor an intra-company worker.

What type of candidates can be transferred?

If you think that the Intra-Company Visa could be an effective way to bridge a skills gap that you cannot fill with workers from the UK, it’s important that you know which candidates are eligible.

  • They must have worked for a foreign branch of your company outside of the EEA for at least 12 months (unless they will be earning a UK salary of at least £73,900).
  • The role must be at the relevant skill level – typically NQF level 6 or above (equivalent to bachelor’s degrees with honours, graduate certificates and graduate diplomas).
  • Applicants must possess sufficient skills and experience for the role.
  • The applicant must be paid at least £41,500 p.a.
  • The applicant must have enough funds to maintain themselves (£1,270) if maintenance is not certified by the sponsor.

Find the skills you need here in the UK

At Linguistica International and Recruitment, we’re confident that we can find the outstanding candidates you need right here in the UK. As a specialist recruiter of bilingual candidates, we know where to turn to find talented linguists with leading qualifications in a range of professional fields.

Call 02392 987 765 or email to discuss your skills gap. We’ll scour our database of experienced bilingual workers and actively search for qualified candidates that meet and exceed your requirements.