Want to Work in the UK? These are the Practical Steps to Take

Before the Brexit deal was done and the transition period ended, working in the UK for EU residents was as easy as packing your bags, getting on the plane and starting the job search in the UK. These days, it’s not quite so simple. 

Despite the impact of the pandemic, the UK has the second most powerful economy in Europe and a jobs market that, although currently suppressed, will bounce back quickly once the pandemic is under control. Perhaps even more important than that, given the current climate, is the fact that the UK’s coronavirus vaccination rollout is also well ahead of every EU country, so it should get back to business as usual more quickly. 

With all that in mind, the UK remains an attractive prospect for many people currently living in the EU. This is our guide to the practical steps that you now need to take to work in the UK. 

The EU Settlement Scheme

If you have visited or lived in the UK six months before the date of your application, you can apply to live and work in the UK via the EU Settlement Scheme. This allows citizens from the EU, EEA and Switzerland to remain in the UK beyond 30 June 2021. 

To apply for the EU Settlement Scheme, you will need:

  • a digital photo of yourself;
  • a valid passport;
  • A mobile phone number; and
  • proof of when and how long you visited/have lived in the UK. Proof can come in the form of a bank statement that includes a UK transaction, a utility bill, a tenancy agreement or a boarding pass that shows the UK as the destination. 

If your application is successful, you’ll be granted either ‘Settled’ or ‘Pre-Settled’ Status (depending on your circumstances). There are some important differences between the two.

Pre-Settled Status

If you receive Pre-Settled Status, you will have the right to live, work and receive NHS healthcare in the UK. After five years of living in the UK with Pre-Settled Status, you’ll then be able to apply for Settled Status.

Settled Status

If you are granted Settled Status, you will have the same rights to welfare, NHS healthcare and to live and work in the UK as a British citizen. You will be able to live in the UK indefinitely and leave the UK for up to five years without losing your Settled Status.

Apply via the Skilled Worker Visa/Sponsorship Route

The main route into the UK for skilled workers who are not eligible for the EU Settlement Scheme is the Skilled Worker Visa. It allows workers with a job offer for a role that pays at least £25,600 per annum (although exemptions exist and it can be as low as £20,480) to work in the UK. All applicants must also meet the English language requirements and score 70 points on the UK visa points test to be eligible for a visa.

To be able to apply via the skilled visa worker/sponsorship route, you will need:

  • to be sponsored by a business that has invested in a Sponsorship Licence and Certificate of Sponsorship;
  • to have a formal job offer in writing;
  • to receive a minimum salary of £25,600; 
  • to pass the English language requirements;
  • to score at least 70 points on the UK visa points test;
  • to have at least £1,270 available in funds to support yourself in the UK; and
  • to pay an immigration health surcharge of £624 per year.

Find bilingual jobs in the UK

Whether you already live in the UK or hope to move to the UK to work, we offer a broad range of bilingual jobs for workers from the EU and beyond. Take a look at our current vacancies, submit your CV or call 02392 987 765 to discuss your requirements with our team.